Re: [NTLK] Newton ROMs

From: Dylan Stewart (rxs015500_at_utdallas.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 18 2003 - 20:52:20 PST

> Dylan Stewart wrote:
> > How can I get a copy of the ROM that my Newton has?
>
> The "debugger images" for the Hammer low-level debugger are actually ROM
images:

> http://guelph.unna.org/unna/development/Debugger_Images/
>
> But they are cooked in some way. I can't remember how they are uncooked
back
> to normal-looking compiled code, but IIRC it was around a 5 or 6 line Perl
script.

Thanks for that information. I just couldn't seem to find any. Perhaps I
was looking in all the wrong places.

> > Do the system patches
> > affect the physical ROM in any way?
>
> No.

OK. I was wondering because some portable devices have flashable OSs, so I
thought that an update might somehow re-flash the Newton.

> > Lastly, where is the serial number
> > stored? In the ROM or in some other chip?
>
> RTFM:

http://guelph.unna.org/unna/apple/documentation/developer/QAs-2.x/html/serln
umb.htm

I just wanted to be sure that the ROMs were not unique in some way. If they
were, I would have to get mine from my Newt for it to be legal.

> A bit of advice: if you really want to know about the deep inner workings
of
> the NewtonOS, get yourself a Mac machine (or an emulator setup) and
install
> the NewtonDev package. This includes the Hammer low-level debugger as well
as
> MPW with the Newton C++ tools. Have fun.

My problem is that I don't have a good computer at all. I have a Classic
and a PowerBook 5300c with 16 MB of RAM and no internet connection. I also
have a slow Windows computer that I use for school development and not much
else. I desperately need to upgrade its processor. I tried Basilisk II,
but it is far too slow to be useable for much on my poor Windows box.

> --
> Victor Rehorst - victor_at_newtontalk.net - chuma_at_chuma.org
> NewtonTalk list administrator - http://www.newtontalk.net
> Will the last person to leave the platform please turn off the backlight?

 Dylan Stewart AC5ZH

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html