[NTLK] Newton saves the day. Amazing adventures.

From: Daniel Padilla (dproldan_at_telefonica.net)
Date: Wed Mar 19 2003 - 06:29:47 PST

Sometimes I wonder if there's something you can't do with a Newton and a bit
of inventive.

  I bought a Rex 6000 PDA for my girlfriend. It's a cute little pda in a PC
card form factor that now goes with her everywhere.
  Its syncronization program allows you to download web content from a
server and put it on the rex, and it requires that you connect the rex and
internet at the same time, usually with a docking station.
    But I don't have a docking station, my laptop pc has one (only one) PC
card slot and she has been using it to sync contacts and appointments.
    Today I wanted to try the web sync functionality and I realise that,
with only one PC card slot, I can't use the Rex and the network card at the
same time. Bah, who needs web content in a rex? I do!
    I remembered a newton program called Modem Bridge that allows you to use
a modem card in the newton as a external modem for a desktop. Well, the
rex looks like a modem to the host computer.

    I go to Unna, grab the package, connect everything and ...
 Yes! it works!! It's absolutely transparent, exactly as if it's
connected to the pc card slot. It saved me some money off ebay for a
docking station.

    This is an advise for those who want to sell the newton. Keep it.
Really, you never know when you'll need it.

D.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html