[NTLK] Repair or replace 2100?

From: Doug Parker (dougparker_at_progressdata.com)
Date: Wed Mar 19 2003 - 07:36:23 PST

> From: John Evans <johnevans66_at_yahoo.com>

> I recieved a very clean 2100 from J&K with two problems (which they are
being very good about correcting, btw); the lower card eject button doesn't,
and there is a rattling noise inside the top of the 2100 upon light shaking.
J&K recommended sending the unit back for a motherboard replacement to fix
the eject button, as the "slots are right on the board "(?), and that the
rattling was probably the broken part from the eject button. This was the
recommendation because of the very good screen that the unit has. I
initally wanted a full replacement instead of the same unit post-repair, but
am not sure now.

> Does this sound reasonable? Does opening the case change the quality of
the Newt (not as snug of a fit of the case parts)? Also, if the rattling is
from the piece of lower eject button, it sure would have had to migrate a
ways to get to the top.

If the Newton interconnect door ever snaps off, it leaves a little gift
inside the case--one of the arms from the interconnect door. Just think of
it as a Newton rattle. See? Even infants can use the Newt. When will it ever
end!

I say go ahead and open the Newt if you have a good mechanical sense. When
replacing the screws, turn them BACKWARDS until you feel them slip into the
previous grooves, THEN turn to tighten. The reason for doing this? You don't
want to be recutting grooves with the screws every time you reclose the
Newt, because that will slowly make the hole larger and larger until the
screws won't grab anymore.

Doug Parker

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html