Re: [NTLK] syncing the newton

From: Peter H. Coffin (hellsop_at_ninehells.com)
Date: Wed Mar 19 2003 - 13:48:59 PST

Victor Rehorst wrote:
> Quoting David Compton <dcompton001_at_gmx.net>:
>
>> I was just sitting here wishing my Newton would sync as easily as my
>> god !#$! palm and I started thinking about writing a conduit that
>> would talk Newton(ese). But then I thought why not just right a
>> program for the
>> Newton
>> to sync like a palm, i.e. pretend to be a palm. Am not really a
>> programmer, but I was thinking about this as a project, I really
>> like my Newton, but with out the ability to sync I need something
>> else.
>>
>> Anyone care to comment?
>
> What do you need to sync to? There's lots of stuff now for MacOS -
> it's
> Windows sync that is in a sad state of affairs.
>
> Syncing to Outlook would not be hard. Notes2Notes is a great example
> of
> moving data back and forth from Outlook to the Newton. The Outlook
> Object
> Model exposes everything, so its not like that data is inaccessible.
> I have
> used Sloup extensively for NewtDump and while it is serial only, it's
> pretty good.

For some reason, I look at Sloup as being a bit of a complication to be
avoided where possible. A lot of the "sync" issues that do happen deal with
the most classic of PIM applications: Dates and Names. What I see a need for
are programs that crack open the data storage of contemporary PIM tools to
make NCU-compatible sync files from the data therein. The NCU manuals
contain a starting point of information for what the Newt needs, and I swear
I've seen a pdf of the Dock protocol someplace that will allow even cleaner
connections.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html