Re: [NTLK] Special treatment for newbies?

From: Nancy Haitz (nhaitz_at_newted.dyndns.org)
Date: Mon Mar 24 2003 - 12:37:06 PST

> Martin Joseph wrote:
>
> I was wondering if it would be possible/desirable/easy to treat new
> list members a bit differently.
>
> I was thinking, perhaps when new people sign up, there first post (or
> two) could generate an automatic welcome message, which would include
> links to the FAQ and the archives, and then send there messages to the
> list dad (sorry Victor) for review/disposition.
>
> I realize this would generate more work for you Victor, but it might
> also reduce the steady flow of identical questions coming from newfound
> Newton owners.

I am still a newbie. But, I have already seen some newbie questions 5
or 6 times. And, I suspect some of the people who have been on the
list a long time feel like there is a constant echo of the same old
questions.

Some of you "old timers" bought your machine new. But, being a Newt
newbie now is scary. After all, most of us just got the thing. If we
were lucky it had enough stuff with it (power supply, battery, etc) to
figure out if it worked or not. We got zero instructions. And
probably don't know anyone else using one. Lets face it, you can't
walk into a computer store and buy any software for, or books about the
Newton.

I had been stumbling around the internet looking for info when I found
NewtonTalk. Sort of like OH! WOW! OTHER PEOPLE WHO USE THIS THING
AND WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT. Where do I join?

Perhaps Victor could put some additional info on the NewtonTalk sign up
site. Most people don't bother reading the FAQ section. But, most
site's FAQ and Archive areas are not like the ones for the Newton.
Maybe instead of FAQ it should be called "If you are new to the Newton
- Get basic information here."

Just my clueless newbie thoughts

Nancy

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html