Re: [NTLK] Spam Arrest Verification for List Posting

From: Dylan Stewart (rxs015500_at_utdallas.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 25 2003 - 15:31:17 PST

> You appear to missing the point.

You appear to misunderstand how an E-mail list works.

> I didn't send mail to Robert.
>
> I sent mail to *this list*.

Actually, *this list* routes all mail to Robert's E-mail address. Since he
is on *this list*, he gets all mail sent to it. That is the point of an
E-mail list. Since individuals are being asked to verify, that indicates
that he is not on digest.

So, yes, you _did_ send E-mail to Robert.

> Robert routed all mail from *this list* to Spam Arrest which caused
> any member of this list who posts to be challenged and receive two
> pieces of spam. If you didn't receive a challenge, my message to him
> got through and he is managing his list mail appropriately.

I have not yet been spammed by that company. It might just be because I
have a .edu E-mail address and spammers tend to be rather careful about
those.

I _was_ challenged. I went to the page and typed the word in the picture.
It's easy, though it is still illegal.

Do you seriously think that someone asking "who is it" before answering
their door is rude? This is practically the same. It might be more
comparable to having to navigate through an automated phone system to talk
to someone.

> Consider if everyone on this list used this service. Your posting
> would have resulted in you receiving 1700 demands for verification
> from Spam Arrest and 3400 pieces of spam.

If I had been asked 1700 times, I would have gotten sick of it after a few
hundred, so I would pick it back up the next day. As I said, I have never
gotten spam on my E-mail address.

Now, the SpamArrest system would be better if it allowed you to whitelist
groups without asking them to verify. Of course, it would be even better if
it was client-side as opposed to server-side, since server-side whitelists
can be compromised rather easily, but breaking into a client-side whitelist
would require breaking just about every computer crime law in existence.

Perhaps a better way to handle the list would be to make all of the E-mail
show as coming from an @newtontalk.net E-mail address. Surely SpamArrest
has a way to whitelist domains manually.

In fact, I found your E-mail system to be far more rude than Roberts. You
sent me an E-mail. I replied to it. You returned the reply unread. Now
_that_ is rude. At least Robert tells you how to actually talk to him.

> Cheers,
>
> Darrell

 Dylan Stewart AC5ZH

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html