Re: [NTLK] [OT] OS X & Ink

From: Rick Ludwig (bensisko_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Mar 25 2003 - 14:25:40 PST

Ah, but that's where the conspiracy comes in. There was much more to
the deal than just those lawsuit issues. According to an article
written by David MacNeill in Pen Computing Magazine, there are rumors
that part of the deal included killing off the Newton to make way for
Windows CE in schools (along with the 'selling' of some Newton
technologies). Is this the way it happened? Depends on how paranoid you
are. It is very probably because Jobs is infamous (in the Newton
community) for hateing the Newton, and Gates was jelious of the eMate
and it is a very Microsoftian thing to do. Since we don't know all of
what went on (and never will unless it's mentioned in a book written by
Steve or Bill), it is an extremely possible situation.

The reason I mentioned conspiracy is that MacNeill wrote several
theoires about why the Newton was killed, and this particular one was,
according to him, very X-Filesish.

Although, all kidding and jokeing aside, the comment I made about
Newton, Pocket PC, OS X, and Tablet PC all haveing the same code base
for their HWR is true. This comes from many different sources (they all
stem from Newton, but Tablet PC is based off of Pocket PC which is
based off of Newton...).

-Rick

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html