Re: [NTLK] CF card and adaptor

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Sat Mar 29 2003 - 02:57:51 PST

Il me semble que le 29/3/03 à 02:09 -0800, Jeremy Wood nous racontait:
>It takes an hour to compile?

Yes, that's the average time required for a full release build, if
MPW isn't the frontmost application (it can take much longer if I do
other things on the machine than answering mail, web surfing, writing
code).

Latest half build (only the demo release package) took 40 minutes:

# 18:18:41 ----- Build of releasedemo.
# 18:58:34 ----- Done.

>What host machine are you compiling on?

PowerBook G4 15" 1 GHz, 1 GB of ram, MacOS X 10.2.4, power settings
set to Maximum performances when I compile.

I think the problem here is MacOS X. I can do a full build (both
packages) in 6 minutes when booting into 9 (but I don't do anything
else in that case). At first, I rebooted to do releases, but there is
often something that doesn't compile so I actually have to perform
several compilations until it gets right.

It is frustrating to perform these operations under 9 because except
Newton development tools which I cannot use during a build, all the
applications I use are OS X only (or have their preferences in OS X'
home dir). I cannot easily check my mail or the news or surf the web
during the compilation (one can get a coffee during the first
compilation, but getting a coffee during every compilation means that
one won't sleep for a week or two).

Additionally, the low level debugger is very buggy and crashes very
easily when it doesn't get enough CPU. Surprisingly, it is very
stable in Classic, I guess because of the way Classic handles I/O
with the Keyspan adapter driver. At worst I get messages saying that
some frames were lost, but Hammer no longer crashes.

For several months now, I also perform some tests directly on the mac
with a minimum emulation of NewtonOS kernel's function I need. This
project is a OS X project only.

So I use Classic every day but I haven't rebooted into 9 for months now.

>It's not that large of a piece of code, is it?

No. It's just around 50K lines ;)

The DCL has something like 45 K lines now, but it compiles much
faster (less than 2 minutes) because I use CodeWarrior which is OS X
native and better optimized than Norcroft ARM cross-compiler for MPW.
Nicolas uses ProjectBuilder (with gcc 3.x) and he often says that it
takes eons on his PB G4 12". I think he counted and it actually takes
10 minutes.

These two projects are nearly 3 years old, so it's not very
surprising that they are that big, I think.

Paul

--
NPDS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/
Apache: http://www.kallisys.com/