Re: [NTLK] Help! Still can't get wireless!!

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Sat Mar 29 2003 - 10:36:29 PST

on 29/03/03 13:21, Karl and Kathleen Prihoda at kapri_at_cfl.rr.com wrote:

> Yes, the G4 was connected.
> The D-link is a wireless router with 4 ports for non-wireless
> components.
>
> There don't seem to be any configurable controls for the router itself.
> The Mac install instructions just say to enable DHCP and the computer
> will find it and configure as needed. I called D-Link and they had
> absolutely no idea what to do with the Newton (obviously).

I have Linksys router/gateway, and there is an admin program running in it
that you can access using a web browser (there is also a small web server
inside the router). Try to use address <http://192.168.1.1> and see if you
can connect. Obviously, I'm not sure it will work since this address works
with the Linksys router, but it's worth a try.

So, actually, from what I understand, here is how it works:

Your router connects to your cable modem then requests a DHCP address from
your cable provider. Then, the router acts itself as a DHCP server.
Obviously, you need to configure every device on your network to use the IP
address of your router, or it won't work. That's why you need to find out
how you can administer your router. Like I said, many routers come
pre-configure at address 192.168.1.1, so you might want to check that this
is what the Newt is configured for. And your G4 Mac too.

Let me know what you find out.

-Laurent.

elder days n.: The heroic age of hackerdom (roughly, pre-1980); the era of
the PDP-10, TECO, ITS, and the ARPANET. This term has been rather
consciously adopted from J. R. R. Tolkien's fantasy epic "The Lord of the
Rings". Compare Iron Age; see also elvish and Great Worm.
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html