Re: [NTLK] OT turntables... or all that scratchin is making me itch.

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Thu May 01 2003 - 20:27:19 PDT

On Thursday, May 1, 2003, at 07:06 PM, PaulMmn wrote:
<snip>
> the needle (stylus) scrapes away some of the vinyl every time
> it's played, so the quality goes down with each playing. And the
> scritchy-scratch, scritchy-scratches, the pops, the snaps, the
> crackles all add to the thrill of listening to a vinyl recording.
With a high quality stylus/tone arm this type of wear is somewhat
overrated IMHO. Also I know I saw a laser based cartridge system
somewhere which would (perhaps) eliminate the wear aspect...

> Personally, I prefer the audio quality of a CD recording-- that never
> changes (unless you scratch the record).

CDs are OK, but still do not achieve the sonic quality of a good
record/turntable. Also CD's are more fragile then many people seem to
realize (especially the label side).

Considering the primitive technology employed when playing a record, it
remains pretty clear the the audio potential of this system far
outstrips MP3's and even Audio CDs.

Marty

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html