Re: [NTLK] iPod mutates - and a question

From: Rick Ludwig (bensisko_at_mac.com)
Date: Sun May 04 2003 - 19:30:37 PDT

Wow. The longest I have is an 8 hour lecture on Science Fiction which
comes to a walloping 126 MB (and my 10 gig plays it fine).

I have a question though. I've hear a lot of people talk about how
listening to a 128k mp3 ripped off a cd is so horrible sound quality
and on and on. How can you hear that?? I rip my CDs at 64k mp3 and it
doesn't sound bad at all to me! I know I'm not an audiophille, and I'm
not trying to rip on people who can hear that (mostly because I get
made fun of for prefurring McDonalds soda over other fast food
joints... oh there IS a difference in taste..). I bought a $150 pair of
nice studio headphones and listened to the same song on a vinal record
off of a $6000 1 year old stereo system, and a 64k mp3 recorded from a
CD and I couldn't tell the difference (the piece was Beetoveen's 5th
symphony BTW).
Okay, the question is (because I am def to this): What is the
difference? Is the music dulled (i.e. you can't hear all the sections
of the orcestra)? I'm just curious.

-Rick

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html