Re: [NTLK] Beginner's questions

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Mon May 05 2003 - 08:40:23 PDT

Il me semble que le 5/5/03 à 08:18 -0700, Paul Skenazy nous racontait:
>I. I want to transfer data to my OS X [iBook]. When I try to set up
>the Newton Utilities, my Classic environment is activated. Even that
>would be OK but right now the Classic environment just won't
>recognize the eMate when I try to do the transfers. Seems like the
>software is in the iBook fine, but can't get the connection to
>materialize. (I'm using a Belkin serial to USB that I have been
>using with older machines, like the 3400c that I had pre-USB, pre-OS
>X days.) So: what do I need to make this connection with OS X--in
>terms of hardware? software?

You need to select the Belkin ports in NCU preferences. If the port
does not show up, you need a driver. If it shows up, it might or
might not work, depending on the compatibility of these drivers with
the Classic environment. I don't know about the Belkin, you probably
want to check their website or whatever. The Keyspan adapter works
fine here with both OS X and Classic drivers.

>I had hoped to get around some of problem #1
>above by using a card that I could put my SmartMedia into and then
>use the SmartMedia USB transfer device I use with my digital camera.

This isn't possible now because of lack of software. And it probably
will never be as easy as you seem to think. The reason is that
NewtonOS and MacOS X definitely do not store data the same way.

Paul

--
NPDS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/
Apache: http://www.kallisys.com/