Re: [NTLK] ATA support on the eMate and Questions about eBooks

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Tue May 13 2003 - 08:32:29 PDT

Il me semble que le 12/5/03 à 20:41 -0700, Brian Mayton nous racontait:
>I recently got a MacAlly 4-in-1 PCMCIA adapter card. It's a PCMCIA
>card that takes MMC, Secure Digital, Memory Stick, and SmartMedia and
>fits in the PCMCIA slot. I got it to use with my computer, but to my
>surprise, it actually works quite well with the ATA Support drivers on
>my Newton. It recognized and partitioned both my Secure Digital cards
>with no problems whatsoever.

Are you sure they're SD cards? (instead of MMC cards?)
I had an SD card (sent it to a Newton user) and it didn't work
because SD cards use a specific protocol extension of ATA protocol.

>Was there, like the list of known bugs seems to suggest, ever a release
>that didn't have the eMate power management bug? If there was, which
>version was it? Can anyone point me to it?

Unfortunately, I do not recall. I'm not even sure I fixed it.
But I'll work on fixing it at the end of the month as well as the
problem with MP1x0s (my eMate is something like 9040 km away). I got
an eMate specifically to fix that weird bug and test the software on
it and I also recently got a MP120 for the MP1x0s issues.

The eMate power management bug is weird because the eMate is based on
the same chip as the MP2x00 and the bug only happens with the eMate.
It's something like if I power off the card and if you close the lid,
the power counter goes underflow and the eMate crashes. But it's a
little bit more complex since there are several power counters (for
Vcc and Vpp) and two levels of counters.

I know some users who, as a workaround, set the sleep time in ATA
Support preferences to never.

I already have a bunch of changes in ATA Support (like more stability
in the driver, the ability of beaming the installer, etc.) but I wait
until backups is fully there before releasing RC6.

Paul

--
NPDS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/
Apache: http://www.kallisys.com/