Re: [NTLK] [OT] tablet logo rip off

From: Brian Pearce (bpearce_at_cloud9.net)
Date: Fri May 16 2003 - 00:30:52 PDT

> Aren't they capable of creating their own visual identity, rather than
> "embrance and extend" other companies product's appearance? It seems
> to me
> that they are too cheap to hire some actual designers, and just copy
> other
> companies product's appearances.

As an Art Director and Graphic Designer, I can tell you that even the
designs that are startling similar to something else come from actual
Designers and Design Firms (and they can often cost quite a bit of
money, as well). I'm the last person who wants to try and defend
Microsoft, and it's difficult for me to explain this adequately; but in
this particular case, the elements of that design are all perfectly
obvious (to me) for this purpose, and I can see how this solution could
have come about.

People like to jump to conclusions (especially where Microsoft is
concerned), but it's entirely possible the design team had never even
*seen* the original Newton logo; it hasn't been actively used in over
five years, which is A.) an eternity in computer terms, and B.) enough
time for a crop of eager young designers to have completely missed it.
(Of course, it's also possible the design was done in tribute the the
original Newton logo.)

BRIAN/bpearce_at_cloud9.net

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html