Re: [NTLK] Freezing Stuff

From: Robert Benschop (rbenschop_at_euronet.nl)
Date: Sat May 17 2003 - 02:29:25 PDT

On Saturday, May 17, 2003, at 11:14 Europe/Amsterdam, Nancy Haitz wrote:
> I don't understand... but then I have not tried freezing any apps yet.

Which is quite easy.

With Freeze Utilities you go to Prefs (in your Extras) and tap 'SAI's
Package Freezing Options'
Next check 'Allow Package Freezing' and 'Keep Package Icons when
freezing'

For maximum convenience also activate 'Launch frozen packages when
tapped' and 'Refreeze packages after quitting'
This way you won't even notice anything of the whole process.

> I though, when you froze an application, it would not open until you
> unfroze it. If it will still open, even if it is slow, how does that
> free up heap?

The Newton loads all packages at startup (this is the process bar you
see after a reset) and they all take up a bit of heap.
Frozen packages won't take up any heap at startup so you keep all that
heap for whatever you need it.
Tapping on a frozen package will open it (and it will indeed take up
heap at that moment of course) and in the options outlined above
closing it will refreeze.

I have quite a number of packages on my Newt that I rarely use and
they're all frozen. This way they never take up any heap, only once
they're needed. (all of the installed games are frozen for instance)

Robert Benschop

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html