Re: [NTLK] 120 Battery Power Problem

From: Terry Clark (newton_at_mooo.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sun Nov 02 2003 - 07:38:52 PST

>From: Laurent Daudelin <laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net>

>on 11/1/03 12:42 PM, Terry Clark at newton_at_mooo.demon.co.uk wrote:

>> I recently bought a 120 from eBay. The Newton seems to work fine, as long
as
>> the mains power adaptor is plugged in, but I don't seem to be able to get
it
>> going from batteries...
>>
>> The unit doesn't work with either of two rechargeable packs I have (one
came
>> with the unit and the other I bought seperately as 'new') nor with a set
of
>> brand new AA standard batteries. If I put the AAs into my 110 Newton,
then
>> the 110 works fine. Conversely, if I swap the batteries already in the
110
>> into the 120, the 120 still doesn't work.
>>
>That's most likely because the rechargeable cells have reached the end of
>their useful life. You could probably find NiCADs of higher capacity and
use
>them in your Newton. You just have to use a little piece of cardboard to
>depress the switch in the middle of the battery compartment to let your
>Newton know that those are rechargeable and it will happily recharge them.
>Make sure that you completely discharge them before recharging, or they
will
>develop the infamous "memory effect"...

Thanks a lot for these comments. I'm sure that the rechargeable packs are
creating problems in their own right but I'm still uncertain as to why the
standard non-rechargeable batteries also don't work. Exactly the same
batteries work fine in my 110.

Are there any know problems with the Newt's internal connection to the
battery bay? I'll also check for any dirt etc on the contacts inside the
Newt.

- Terry

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html