Re: [NTLK] US Copyrights: 3 yrs. exemption for obsolete platforms?

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_comcast.net)
Date: Sun Nov 02 2003 - 14:58:50 PST

somewhere near the temporal coordinates of 11/2/03 5:47 PM, the entity known
as Peter Cameron transmitted the following from pdwc_at_sympatico.ca:

> on 02/11/03 3:26 PM, Len Cole at leonard.cole_at_verizon.net wrote:
>> Simply because someone somewhere is using a quill pen doesn't make the quill
>> pen not obsolete.
> But, by definition, it would not be obsolete. As long as it is in use
> somewhere it is obsolescent. Big difference.

Then what the US Gov't said makes no sense (not that that would be a
surprise). If it isn't in use anywhere, then the question would never have
been raised for them to issue an exception to DCMA.

BTW, I expect the area most impacted by this would be owners of, say, the
original Atari game system or the original Nintendo. It would seem that
this opens the way to copy the cartridges. Maybe.

If only there was a law forbidding lawyers from participating in government
as a fundamental conflict of interest (which, of course, it is). Then laws
might actually be in plain language.

- Eric.

Fight political correctness!  Speak the truth!!!
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html