Re: [NTLK] Newton Modem List: Most current

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Mon Nov 03 2003 - 10:52:58 PST

>>*** Maybe you have some more current information on PCMCIA modems, maybe
>>even about analogue/ISDN cards. Also interesting: external analogue/ISDN
>>modems and any combination of either ISDN or analogue with mobile
>>telephony.
>>It'd be very interesting to hear what card, drivers, modem scripts you are
>>using, so pls. let us know. ***
>
>As far as I know, most ISDN cards are like WinModems, they're just
>adaptors that use the computers they're conected to take care of all the
>communications stuff.

Hmh, yeah, I see - if the ISDN card does CAPI, then I'm deep in driver
doodoo. It *would* be possible to get that to work, but that'd need some
developing prowess which is not at my perusal.

But if the card likes AT commands (like external ISDN adapters) instead of
CAPI, then I don't really see much difficulty. What do you think?

>On the other hand, most PCMCIA modems will work fine with the newton.
>What's your idea?

I'd like to have *one* telco card that allows me to plug into ISDN *and*
analogue lines, the latter with 56k. No matter what kind of landline I'd
find, my Newton would be able to connect, cheaply send and receive faxes
and email, and I'd not have to drag two external modems along. That would
be really nice.
- Anybody know such a combo card? What are the experiences on a Newton?

.

A plain ISDN card would not be so hot, but still: - Anybody on the list
know any non-CAPI, Newton-compatible ISDN cards? What are your experiences?

.

And *this* would be super hot: Having above described combo card with an
additionally integrated
*mobile phone chip*, so while on the run you would have fax and email
available, too, *plus* be able to have phone conversations by plugging a
headset into the card, *and* still be able to go back to landline.
Basically, the question here is:
- Does something like Option's FirstFone
(http://newton.guhl.net/newton/fifo/index.shtml) mixed with both landline
services exist?

And one size smaller:
- What standard GSM/GPRS cards that allow direct voice telephony via
headset are really recommendable for Newtons?

Cheers,

DJV.

P.S.: Hmh, might be time to append the Newton Modem List if you guys pour
enough data my way...

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html