Re: [NTLK] Newton Ethernet 120 OS 2 - ASK-IR: GizmoBeam

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Thu Nov 06 2003 - 12:40:52 PST

>From: DJ Vollkasko <DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net>
>Subject: Re: [NTLK] Newton Ethernet 120 OS 2 - Why not?
>
> >From: Victor Rehorst <victor_at_newtontalk.net>
> >Subject: Re: [NTLK] Newton Ethernet 120 OS 2 (I read the faq)
> >
> >Eric Engle wrote:
> >
>[...]
> >
> >The FAQ is correct. Not much more to say about it...
>
>Hmh, and why so? I mean, alright, the FAQ sez so, and I'm all for believing
>what the FAQs say - *BUT* FAQ also said things about non-NOS 2.1-IR which
>seem to have been true once, but are
>outdated now IIUC
>
>[...]
>
>P.S.: Victor - regarding the IR-FAQ, pls. see
>http://www.0x1.org/d/stuff/newton/ir-faq.html, this David Arnold-IR
>FAQ(tm) is Rev. 1.2 from 2003/03/31, much newer than the 1.17 version at
>UNNA from
>1998
>http://guelph.unna.org/mirrors/www.sfu.ca/cdemwell/newton/ir-faq.html.
>Maybe you could update the mirror or provide a link.

...and even more happy fun with IR stuff! This time it's about Sharp-ASK
and Apple's ASK-"superset". I've just stumbled across a David
MacNeill-piece on ASK
(http://www.pencomputing.com/developer/gizmobeam.html) for Pencomputing
from back in A.D. 1996. He's talking about ActiSys hardware and a software
solution for PC and Mac from Creative Digital Systems called GizmoBeam:

"By reverse engineering the Apple IR superset [to Sharp's ASK-IR - DJV.],
the company has effectively duplicated the superset's functionality for
Macs and PCs. Dubbed GizmoBeam, it is a device driver that implements the
Apple superset that is embedded in every Newton's ROM. GizmoBeam includes
the driver resources and Think C 7.0 sample code. Creative Digital
recommends that programmers have some understanding of Macintosh device
drivers and the Device Manager in order to use GizmoBeam effectively."

GizmoBeam was aimed at developers working for, erhum, *vertical* markets.
Might perhaps be worth a mention on the IR-FAQ, as the very word hasn't
shown up in neither UNNA nor Newtontalk archives, either.

Putting the GizmoBeam into Google doesn't really bring a lot more info than
above posted review. Anybody know more about this SDK?

Cheers,

DJV.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html