Re: [NTLK] lazy and a newbie connecting G4 to 2100

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Fri Nov 07 2003 - 14:50:10 PST

on 07/11/03 17:24, mjoslin_at_dial.pipex.com at mjoslin_at_dial.pipex.com wrote:

> Is there anything worse than a proud owner of a G4 laptalk and a very recent
> 2100 Newton owner who asks the same boring message with no real clues??
> I would however be very pleased to recieve some directions to the solution of
> getting a 2100 talking through ethernet to a G4 powerbook running Panther
> I have a crossover cable and a 3Com 3CXE589EC ethernet card and have set up
> as
> far as possible following various articles Apple talk/ethernet etc.
> I think I have most of the software loaded onto the Newton (as it came from
> the
> supplier) but not sure of how to proceed as I am not able to load any more
> until this problem is solved.
> Please forgive this lame approach but any directions will be gratefully
> recieved

If you're using NCU under Classic, you need to set it to use AppleTalk.
Then, make sure that AppleTalk is turned on in the Network preference under
OS X. On the Newton, when you insert your Ethernet card, you should get a
slip. On that slip should be a setting saying "Use card for AppleTalk" and
you should be set.

-Laurent.

case and paste n.: [from `cut and paste'] 1. The addition of a new feature
to an existing system by selecting the code from an existing feature and
pasting it in with minor changes. Common in telephony circles because most
operations in a telephone switch are selected using case statements. Leads
to software bloat.
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html