Re: [NTLK] Returning from defection

From: Marcel van der Boom (marcel_at_hsdev.com)
Date: Thu Nov 13 2003 - 12:06:42 PST

Paul Guyot wrote:

> The exception you have on the server side is an end of file
> exception, in other words, the Newton closed the connection (and this
> wasn't expected).
>
> I don't know exactly what this is linked with. The dock application
> uses the low-level interface to the Newton Communication Toolbox. It
> interacts this way to whatever the dock module tells it to do. With
> TCP/IP modules (Thomas' or ours), it interacts with Newton Internet
> Enabler. Under some circumstances, the function that reads the dock
> command header fails because reading failed in the TCP/IP stack. The
> failure is reported with a -4 error.

So the error propagates up from NIE to the dock application? It sounds
like the error has something to do with the reliability of the connection:

- long distance example you gave -> regularly occurring
- local net -> randomly occurring
- keyboard -> seldom occuring (keyboard protocol sounds less network
intensive than browsing)
- my wifi -> always occurring (says maybe something about my wifi setup too)

Does that make sense? Maybe i can test this weekend 'over the wire'.
Anything else i can try? Should I file a bug for it on bugs.kallisys.com
maybe?

marcel

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html