Re: [NTLK] Broken Serial Connector

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Nov 16 2003 - 21:43:36 PST

Quick answers:
1) I don't think so
2) no, because the IR port isn't really IRDA (the
current standard) since the Newt came out before IRDA
was developed.

<long answer>
As far as item 1 goes, it's really not worth it. I've
written about the Newton Interface Connector (NIC)
several times here (check the archives:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=newtontalk&m=104675765918360&w=2ewtontalk>
and through personal experience on two Newts, any
"fix" is temporary at best and is basically not worth
the time and trouble just to go through the motions.
Instead of risking permanent damage to your Newt
(either through badly soldering the NIC back to the
mother board, or through attempting this nerve racking
chore and throwing the Newt across the room), I
suggest you spend some quality time on this site:
http://mrpcbman.tripod.com/SER-001.htm
and purchase ASAP!
It's worth the investment and even if you ever do get
your NIC working again, it can never be trusted ever
again...the SER-001 can restore your sanity and faith
in your Newton's connectibility to the outside world.
Ed
web/gadget guru
--- Joe Sokohl <jsokohl_at_gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm back in the Newton game after selling my MP
> 2000/2100 three years ago.
> boy did i make a mistake!
> Anyway, I recently bought a 2100 in fair to poor
> condition on eBay. Biggest
> issue (other than really used
> screen & scratched case): the serial receptacle is
> pushed in &
> non-functioning. So, I can't synch with my
> Macs (Wallstreet PB OS 8.6 and Titanium PB OS
> 10.1.5). Two questions:
>
> 1. Anyone repariing these these days?
> 2. Any way to synch with infrared?
>
> Thanks,
>
> joe
>
> --
> NEU FÜR ALLE - GMX MediaCenter - für Fotos, Musik,
> Dateien...
> Fotoalbum, File Sharing, MMS, Multimedia-Gruß, GMX
> FotoService
>
> Jetzt kostenlos anmelden unter http://www.gmx.net
>
> +++ GMX - die erste Adresse für Mail, Message, More!
> +++
>
> --
> This is the NewtonTalk list -
> http://www.newtontalk.net/ for all inquiries
> List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms:
> http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html
> Official Newton FAQ:
> http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/

=====
"When any government, or church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, 'This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know', the end result is tyranny and oppression , no matter how holy the motives"
     -Robert Heinlein, Revolt in 2100