Re: [NTLK] Newbie software help

From: Johannes Wolf (mp2100_at_mail-gw.estec.esa.int)
Date: Tue Nov 18 2003 - 08:02:06 PST

It looks like you are missing some very basic tools:

1) as I understood you do not have internet access from your Macs? Thats a
pity but no reason to give up.

2) from Aladdin systems there is a software called Stuffit Expander which is
free and will handle most of the compacted file types - get that to handle
your archive files. AFAIR this is a self-expanding archive, so you can
download it to your windose, move it to your Mac and execute it there.

3) in order to get rid of the problems related to wrong package types you
should download the little application PackType from Steve Weyer:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/saweyer/newton/toolinfo.htm#PackType
Remember, having Stuffit Expander you have no longer problems with any type
of archives.

4) last but not least get NCU from UNNA. This is the software you need in
order to connect your Emate/Newt to the Mac via serial interface or maybe
later via Ethernet. That provides you package installer, data transfer,
Backup and a keyboard utility (which is not needed for an Emate of course)
Using that you can easily transfer notes (even with drawings) to the Mac and
vice versa.
There is also a tool to transfer NewtWorks files.
What do you need more?

Cheers
Johannes

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html