Re: [NTLK] MP 130 vs. MP 120

From: Eric Engle (engleerica_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Nov 19 2003 - 02:57:40 PST

I actually like the 120 better than the 2100 in some respects. The MP2100 has
this anti-glare screen that I personally found much less readable than the 120
OS 2. Does the 130 have the same anti-glare screen as the 2XXX or is it the
same screen as the 120?

Are the IRDA protocols on the 130 and 120 the same?

Is it possible to write drivers for ethernet for OS 2.1?
Is is potssible to write drivers so that the OS 2.1 IRDA can do anything
useful?
Does the 130 backlight whine? I had a 2100 and it had to me the following
problems
1) Too heavy
2) Too big
3) Anti-glare screen that was less readable
4) No manual contrast button
5) Touch screen was far less sensitive than the 120 - as in I had to
practically scrawl on it to get it to register (unlike my 120).
6) I don't like the new aspect ratio
All in all it felt like the machine was made for people 6+ feet tall (2m).

The advantages of course, memory and speed. Not being able to put the thing in
a pocket though was a real drawback.

Does anyone still offer accelerators for the 20mhz chip? Overclocking?

I would love to get the functionality of a 2100 into a 130... I'm sure I'm just
dreaming, but if it were possible to write an ethernet driver for the 130, and
with an overclocked/accellerated chip...

Also the 120 OS 2.1 lets you rotate the screen.

> Apple Newton MessagePad 120 Apple Newton MessagePad 130
> Media Storage: 4MB ROM Media Storage: 8MB ROM

I presume that means the max card a 120 OS 2.1 can read is 4mb?

Thanks!