Re: [NTLK] Fun with new CF card and MP3's

From: Dave Bonhoff (gtidave_at_newted.dyndns.org)
Date: Wed Nov 26 2003 - 19:07:36 PST

On Wednesday, Nov 26, 2003, at 18:57 Canada/Eastern, Paul Guyot wrote:

> It's a bug in Heaven or Hell. Move a package to the partition (and
> move it back if you don't want it to stay on the partition) and it
> will work.

That did the trick!

> Actually, I don't think I would have implemented journalizing in ATA
> Support wouldn't the system require me to do so. The reason is that
> it is what eats most of ATA Support resources. It's not like
> journalizing on file systems, everything is in transactions, data
> *and* metadata (vs just metadata on journalized file systems).
> Increasing the caches helps. Since you have a MP2100, 30 or 50 pages
> should improve things. I don't recommend these values for a MP2000
> because it would use too many memory pages and slow down the Newton
> by requiring more disk/card accesses to swap pages.

I'll give 50 a try and see what happens...

> Also, the -10622 is really bad. Make sure the card behaves properly
> indeed. I don't have any test suite that reveals data corruption even
> if these test suites include very intensive storage operations
> (including crashes and the such).

Why do I feel uneasy when you say that it is really bad? [;^)
Everything else appears to be working fine at this time... And I'm
going to back-up again today just in case.

> If you can reproduce the -10622 deterministically, and if you want, I
> can cook a new build without this 64 KB limitation for you to try. As
> I wrote, this limit only exists because I think it's what the system
> has for linear cards/internal memory. The ATA Support data format has
> no real limit on object sizes except the size of the store itself
> (plus space to do the transaction). I'm not sure ATA Support actually
> triggers this error because the system realistically asks for a
> creation of an object that big. It might be that some data is
> corrupted somehow and the system wants an object with an arbitrary
> random size (much, much bigger than 64 KB).

I can reproduce this error easily by attempting to download a large
MP3. I've created another large MP3 to see if it is just a problem
with the first track. This one is 23.2MB and it does the same thing.
So far, the largest MP3 that has worked has been 4.3MB. I'll see about
trying different sized ones until I find the limit. Either way, I'd be
happy to do some testing for you!

Thanks!
Dave

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html