[NTLK] Myths, Theories, and Speculations

From: Jim Siburt (jsiburt_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Oct 02 2003 - 08:19:26 PDT

Pertaining to the battery not charging I also have had the eMate shut
itself off and then when it restarts it says the reset was due to the
power being interrupted. The unit has even been closed and when I open
it it will display the reason for restart message. I assumed it was due
to the old battery pack I was using and I was content in waiting until
I purchased a new one. Well the random restarts even occur when it is
plugged in and as you know it won't charge the new battery.
It may be a combination now of two things but Franks theory below had
me wondering if the problem is somehow connected. I do not have the
years of experience that some of you do but any push in the right
direction might help. The only problem with this being connected to the
charging issue is that the old battery pack charged fine. Also, and
maybe this normal, but when I plug in the battery the eMate immediately
reboots and I hear the chimes. It was powered off before I disconnected
the battery. This eMate was still in the box and the sticker on the bag
inside had not even been removed. I was the first to use it. The
battery pack inside was dead but a spare unit worked fine. I also have
two power adapter, both 9w, and I have tried each.

I cannot cause the power interrupt, I have tried, it is random. There
are no cards installed and I recently did a hard reset so there are no
applications installed other than the basics. The eMate tells me every
few minutes that the battery is low yet the bar still shows
approximately 20%. I click the warning window closed and wait some
more. I am trying to run the battery done to nothing. My other theory
is that it did charge and the eMate is not registering the proper
battery level. I have no other way of check this except letting the
eMate run unplugged for as long as possible.

I don't mean to be a burden and I am sorry if I am, but I have nowhere
else to turn for help with this problem. There is a post in the archive
that I followed and tried everyones tests and suggestions. Shaking
Wiggling, clicking, tapping, etc. :)

Frank Gruendel proposed this theory in 2001:
> > A bad battery contact is basically a resistor that lies between the
> > battery terminal and the logic board inside the Newton. Depending
> > on how bad the contact really is this imaginary resistor has a lower
> or
> > higher resistance (resistance gets higher when contact gets worse).
> > When you Newton draws current, this current must pass the imaginary
> > resistor. According to good ol' Ohm's law current through a resistor
> > will result in a voltage across this resistor. The higher the
> > resistance,
> > the higher the voltage. The higher the current, the higher the
> voltage.
> > This voltage is missing from what the Newton's electronics "sees".
> > Now doing things, any things, on your Newton usually results in an
> > increase
> > of the current the Newton draws. How much depends on the action you
> do
> > and
> > sometimes on how fast and which what frequency you do it.
> > Handwriting recognition on my 130 requires more than
> > twice as much current as what the Newton draws when idle. Twice as
> much
> > current means twice as much voltage across the imaginary resistor
> which
> > might cause the Newton to draw the conclusion that the power has been
> > removed.

Jim Siburt
New Media Design
www.logicaldreams.org