Re: [NTLK] FW: form factor

From: Brian Parker (bunnyboy_at_sealiecomputing.com)
Date: Thu Oct 02 2003 - 11:35:21 PDT

>> Dear Jason,
>> I have been thinking about a new design for a while and have
>> inquired
>> about a couple of options for the battery. One really good option
>> would be
>> one made by Samsung. The battery stores about 355 watt hours in a
>> space of a
>> 2.8mm-thin, 34mm-wide and 58mm-high pack. I don't know anything about
>> battery specs, could this be used to run a Newton?
>
> *NO* idea. Posting this question to the list instead of to me
> directly would probably be better... in fact, you have my permission to
> forward this entire response to the list for archiving and comments.

Before you get too far, don't expect to put in a lithium battery and
have the Newton charge it. You will need to either have an external
charger for the batteries, or add lots more circuitry to the Newton.
Using a charger not made specifically for lithium batteries will
probably fry the charger and explode the battery. Pretty much all the
flat or high capacity batteries are lithium....

Brian Parker
Sealie Computing
bunnyboy_at_sealiecomputing.com

NewtGlider - www.sealiecomputing.com/NewtGlider