Re: [NTLK] A Newton Replacement: facts

From: L A GREEN (lagoff11_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Oct 06 2003 - 11:20:00 PDT

I DONT think its about what they dont do. for instance not one of them will keep your info once the battery dies (correct me if im wrong). that alone will keep them out of the running any day of the week. i think its about what u have become accustomed to using. we have in our possesions a piece of technology that has done as much as any laptop that has been made in the last 10 yrs. ok maybe not as much but as much as the normal user uses a laptop for we can use our newts and do it just the same. yes it is bigger than any pda out there, but i have big hands and i have no problems with it. when it comes to handwriting recognition the newton kicks ass like none other. u dont have to write it in the lil box and hope it converts u can write anything anywhere and nowadays it converts. no using sum other type of written commands. the newton works the way you want it to work. u dont learn how to make the newton do what u want it to do, it learns how u want it done and tha
 nx to
 the newton community if there is any quirk or idea that sumone has there is a brain reading right now that will make it a reality if possible. so for me , a pc user, my newton is the perfect companion my commutes fly by as i read a book, write a poem hand write/type, or play a game, plan out a website and all while stanidng on a crowded train even in the dark. i can set up appts and reminders as my day goes by and if i need to do a voice recording i can. no extra do hickey to add on just open and use. my lifestyle has always been to use what is functional not what is pretty. so yes there are many pda's out now that are pretty and have all the bells and whistles, but they dont do all i need or all i want. i dont need a color screen or an mp3 player/pda i dont need a pda/phone. i need a phone that answers and makes phone calls. i need an mp3 player that plays mp3s and i need/want/have a pda that is just that, a personal digital assistant. i am usually near a computer
  if i
 want or need to go online so i dont need that in my pda or on my phone either. my newt assist me so in order for me to switch to any other pda it must do all my current newt does with all the pros and none of the cons.

sorry for the long wind, but u asked.

long live the green,

LAG

Pascal Massün <pascal.massun_at_skynet.be> wrote:
Ed and all,

We all love our Newton, that's for sure. We keep telling ourselfs all the
new stuff doesn't compare, doesn't match, doesn't ... to our Newton.
Question is though, isn't this getting to a more emotional thing ?

In order to counter that last statement/question, I'd like to ask the
following: in which way do the new PDA's of this world not compare with our
Newton. IOW: what do you do with your Newton you can't do with other PDA's ?