Re: [NTLK] installing multiple packages

From: Marco Mailand (N_at_abasurf.ch)
Date: Tue Oct 14 2003 - 13:26:15 PDT

"Robert Szasz" wrote @ 13.10.2003 20:25 Uhr / <rszasz_at_saxon.dhs.org>:

> Is there any way to automate the instalation of multiple packages to a
> newton?
Hi Rob,
I do fresh installations this way - multiple package installation. Therefore
I've prepared a set of files in 2 folders, each w/ less than 700MB (CD-size)
files. In folder (or CD 1) there is a set of special folders with aliases,
pointing to the real files, which are sitting somewhere, sorted into their
categories. Finally I drag a whole bunch of aliases onto the NCU icon and
automagically all the packages get installed. In order to get them onto the
green friend in the right order - for some this is necessary - I preceeded
the alias names with numbers. The same I did with the sub-folders inside the
installation folder. The order is like this:

01-install_internal_memory (this folder contains at first NIE and the
Ethernet card driver as well as some other small packages which I want to
have internally stored)
02-install_internally_ethernet (as soon as NIE and the Ethernet card are
working you can speed-up loading :-)
03-install_card (finally all packages to the card are installed - if the
card was not erased this has not to be done :-)
04-install_special_purpose_pkgs (this folder contains sub-folders with
aliases to applications for special purposes, e.g. GPSmap)

Once you found the right order and named the aliases in the right way and
never touch this running system you'll be able to re-install a brain-wiped
Newton within an hour and not much more. After installation of all packages
I normally restore all information w/o any package. But I do normally full
backups only.

I think the whole system w/ the aliases works even if it is restored from a
CD and the filenames are sort of similar. However, I've burned CD's only for
Macintoshes where the data is sitting in the Documents folder but it should
be working on Window$ too.

--
With best Regards / Viele Gruesse!
Marco Mailand