[NTLK] Accessing Soups on a *NIX machine (was: FAT Support through APIs: )

From: Anton Aylward (anton_at_the-wire.com)
Date: Tue Oct 21 2003 - 05:57:20 PDT

I don't blame you.

What I don't understand is why it can't be turned inside out.

What I mean is this:

Under the *NIX Family, "devices" are just things in the file system that
look like an array of bytes. There is even VM support to map the 'file'
into memory.

So the flash card, or the ATA card, from the Newton, in the *NIX
setting, can be treated as a huge array. This much I remember from days
of kernel hacking at drivers and some DB interface apps.

I'm in the Linux/BSD/Solaris/AIX world, but perhaps someone can confirm
that OSX hasn't deviated from the *NIX model.

So my question is this:

Why can't we stick to the SOUP model but have an application on the *NIX
side that manipulates the soups?

Advantages:

   - backups. Just put the card in the *NIX machine and tell it
     to back up what's on it. Faster even than Ethernet!

   - applications. Let your imagine run wild. Upload and download
     notes, address book entries, MP3s, whatever

The variety of development tools available on the *NIX platforms is much
greater than those for developing targeted for the Newton.

Perhaps even someone could write the low level Newton::Soup for Perl and
Ruby so we can do all the backup/manipulation in a script.

--
Anton Aylward <anton_at_the-wire.com>
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html