[NTLK] ScratchPad 2.0 by Matt Spolin - was: Re: Those Ã

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Wed Oct 22 2003 - 10:02:38 PDT

>Subject: Re: [NTLK] Those Ã
>From: Robert Benschop <rbenschop_at_euronet.nl>
>
>DJ Vollkasko wrote:
> > What I'm looking for a is a racket-making device made by one Matt
> > Spolin in or before 1994. It's described here
> > <http://www.msu.edu/~luckie/letters/mspug3.html>
>
>The one you're looking for can be found at
><http://wuarchive.wustl.edu/systems/mac/amug/files/newton/utilities/1.x/>
>Since it's listed as a 1.x utility I wonder if you're planning to use
>it on a 2.x Newt, in case it works please report it to the list.

Thank you, Robert, that was exactly what I was looking for!

ScratchPad 2.0 likes NOS 2.0 on MP 130.

It gives you a circular device (representing some delicious 12'' slab o'
healthy vinyl - have some every day, it's good for you, keedz!) on which
you draw strokes. When doing this, it makes the Newt spew forth some tasty
scratches. The way and speed with which you zigzag and circle the display
changes the scratching generated.
You can choose among a couple flavas for the scratching (no Cherry Garcia,
tho - but how's Mellow sound for you?).

To the right of the circle you have tap-buttons that trigger a snare, a
cowbell and a clap. Tap one of them, and you trigger the sound once. Tap a
rhythm, and you get a pattern played (clapclap, clapclap,
snare-snare-snare-snare-bell-bell). Nice.
Even nicer: Tap 'em quick, with differing tempo: Clapclap
cla/cla/cla/cla/clap clapclap

Easier done than described, actually, and jolly good fun. A nice little
toy. If you've never tried it, do so today.
Recommendation: Play something on your stereo, and use ScratchPad to improv
along. Or take it to a meeting and use the Clap button to express your
extreme satisfaction with something your boss suggested. Or - as Mr. Spolin
suggested - take it on a plane...

Would be even cooler if you could record the noise you make, and play it
back at will while scratching - e.g. record some rhythm with handclaps and
cowbell, leave silent spaces - play back and fill the blanks with live
scratching (and maybe even record *that*!). Should be possible at least on
MP2xk.
Would be way much cooler than even this if ScratchPad offered more than
three rhythm buttons, and if you could load 'em with your own audio samples
and store these presets (like a portable electronic drumkit w/ 10 sounds),
so you could quickly switch from one preset to another.

Is the source code available anywhere? Does anybody have contact to the
ScratchPad devolper Matt Spolin?

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html