Re: [NTLK] accessing newtontalk.net

From: Peter H. Coffin (hellsop_at_ninehells.com)
Date: Thu Oct 23 2003 - 14:36:17 PDT

On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 12:13:03AM +0300, Eckhart Köppen wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 14:55:49 -0400, Victor Rehorst wrote:
> > I would love to help you people out, but without details I can't.
> >
> > Please, if you ever have any problems let me know directly. Detailed
> > descriptions (the best you can) and forwarding error messages WITH FULL
> > HEADERS will allow me to look into it.
>
> Works fine for me here with Courier (www.newtontalk.net and
> newtontalk.net). One thing to note is that Daniel's NetHopper patch
> seems to have problems sometimes. NetHopper was not designed to handle
> virtually hosted sites, and the patch cannot work around that fully.
> Shameless plug: switch to Courier :)

A little playing with telnet indicates that newtontalk.net doesn't like
getting a direct request, and only works with a URI request. That is,

telnet www.newtontalk.com 80
GET / HTTP/1.0

returns a "Bad request" error message, whereas

telnet www.newtontalk.com 80
GET http://www.newtontalk.com/ HTTP/1.0

returns the main newtontalk page. So I *think* this is related to
NetHopper sending direct requests rather than URI ones, and the patch to
NetHopper isn't working right. Without the patch, I think NetHopper
would consistantly and reliably get served the main system page
(www.continuity.cx).

(For comparison, my own system returns the main system page, and the
correct virtual page for the two examples cited using a name-based
virtual hosts in the Apache config.)

--
58. If it becomes necessary to escape, I will never stop to pose dramatically
    and toss off a one-liner.