Re: [NTLK] Ne(w)tworking assistance - I have checked the FAQ!!!!

From: Robert Benschop (rbenschop_at_euronet.nl)
Date: Tue Sep 02 2003 - 13:50:26 PDT

David Mills wrote:
> I have a cable modem. It is connected to my iMac directly. I also have
> Newton that connects to the internet the same way, but not at the same
> time.
>
> What do I need to keep the iMac plugged into the internet all the time
> and
> occaisionaly plug in the Newton to share this connection without the
> hassle
> of unplugging/plugging in?
>
> How do I set it up? Any recommended brands?

Sounds like you would appreciate a router, I bought a Netgear MR 314
for the same reason about half a year ago and must say that though
setting it up for the first time and getting to actually work was quite
a job, once it worked I wouldn't want to live without it anymore.
Setting up internet access on any device becomes a no-brainer.
By the way, this particular model performs very well with a Newt and is
probably still out there for a reasonable price (must be under $100,
quite a bit under by now I would think)

As an added bonus this is a wireless router, so you might end up with
your Newton sucking it's batteries empty on the couch ;-)

Robert Benschop

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html