Re: [NTLK] Ne(w)tworking assistance - I have checked the FAQ!!!!

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Sep 02 2003 - 14:11:44 PDT

Here are several ways you can solve this problem:
1) get a router or a hub. Plug your iMac, your cable
modem and your Newton all into this device and the
other end of the cable modem to the wall.
2) use some kind of Proxy configuration. I know that
Windows has some kind of Internet Sharing function
that works like a proxy, more than likely OSX does
too. I just don't know anything about OSX.
As for item 1, you could run into some problems here
depending on your ISP.
If your ISP key's your connection via your MAC
address, then they will not issue any additional DHCP
IPs for your Newton. This becomes a problem because
you will have to purchase additional service from your
ISP (most cable modem providers do this because they
are now realizing that internet connection is more
expensive to support then they priced it!)
If this is the case, you will HAVE to do number 2. You
will need to have an internal network with unroutable
IPs so that you can connect to your single MAC address
locked account.
Only your ISP knows for sure which method you can use.
Ed
web/gadget guru
http://npds.tek-ed.com (my NPDS server and it's new
subdomain)

--- David Mills <solidsilver_at_ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Guys n Gals,
> I have a cable modem. It is connected to my iMac
> directly. I also have a
> Newton that connects to the internet the same way,
> but not at the same time.
>
> What do I need to keep the iMac plugged into the
> internet all the time and
> occaisionaly plug in the Newton to share this
> connection without the hassle
> of unplugging/plugging in?
>
> How do I set it up? Any recommended brands?
>
> Regards
>
> Dave

=====
"When any government, or church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, 'This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know', the end result is tyranny and oppression , no matter how holy the motives"
     -Robert Heinlein, Revolt in 2100