Re: [NTLK] Card lending service

From: Damien Batstone (djb_at_er.dtu.dk)
Date: Wed Sep 03 2003 - 23:46:45 PDT

Victor wrote:
>Frank wrote:
>> list traffic henceforth to make this necessary. And since two people have
>> already volunteered to act as "hubs", it might even be better if this
stays
>> on the list just in case someone else feels like participating.
>
>Okay, sure

I didn't contribute originally to philz's fund, so have no say on money
from that, but a bootstrapping/recovery service is something that should be
done anyway, and here's some thoughts:

For bootstrapping, Eckhart's IC/VC, neo, and nitro should be
included. Ethernet can have problems, and it there are no shortage of
win32 laptops with irftp. People have already talked about recovery and
bootstrapping ethernet, and the hubs can make up custom cards easily.

Europe can possibly cover the AU/NZ area, as shipping is cheaper than
from/to the US, until there is an AU/NZ hub. I can do that if necessary,
as I'm originally from AU, and can send my heavies around if someone
doesn't return a card ;) I don't know what to do about asia/SE asia, but
at least a Japanese hub would be good.

A paypal deposit is a good idea, but we need at least one hub who is
capable of, and ready to put up with the hassle of receiving, and refunding
credit card payments (for other hubs too). Other options are a trust
system (receive the card on trust, and return it with 5 euros or dollars to
cover postage), or cash deposit (send 10 dollars to receive the card, and
receive a card; get 5 back). The 2 euros remaining after postage should be
used to fund new cards/hubs.

For many reasons, we should use the smallest cards practical (1MB or 2 MB,
or less). This would also assist with using a trust system. Maybe someone
with contacts can organize a bulk purchase of 5-6 cards. Otherwise we
might have to wait until they come up on ebay, and get someone in the US to
purchase. Also, as Victor has nicely said, we can start the ball rolling
with our own cards.

There are my ideas,

Damien

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html