Re: [NTLK] PC slot on 2x00 no longer working

From: Frank Gruendel (fg2_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Thu Sep 04 2003 - 15:03:40 PDT

<snip>

> Today, with no concerns, I perform the same routine I
> perform every day. I pop out the blank and put in the
> card. Unfortunatly, I never got a slip for inserting
> the card and Simplemail won't acknowledge a network
> connection.

Ed,

of course it would be embarrassing to suggest a hard
reset or pointing out

http://www.pda-soft.de/2x00_disassemble.html

to someone who has been on this list as long as
you have, so I am not going to do this...

This being said, from what you describe I'd think that
the card recognition switch is damaged or the contacts
are dirty or bent. This
fellow is kind of fragile and part of the card
insert/eject mechanism, hence it is way more often
damaged than the pins of the PCMCIA card connector.
You might want to open your Newton and look for two
very tiny gold contacts arranged somewhat like that:

 | |
 | |

These are moved by the card eject button, while it is
pushed in, they are connected to two contacts
on the motherboard.

If you want me to have a look at it, or if you need
a spare part, let me know.

Good luck

Frank

-- Newton Software and Hardware at http://www.pda-soft.de