Re: [NTLK] PC slot on 2x00 no longer working

From: Johannes Wolf (mp2100_at_mail-gw.estec.esa.int)
Date: Fri Sep 05 2003 - 07:43:10 PDT

Very nice and sharp pictures, Ed.
I checked it on my disassembled logic board: both outer (long) pins are
connected to GND.
The target where the pushed in pin from the lower slot is pushing at is most
probaply a test pin. There are a few other test pins in the Vicinity and the
connection is marked with T.....
If the Pin is pushed in that far, it probably does not get any connection to
the iserted card anymore. If it still gets connection to the card, then it
will have GND level via the card from the other GND pin which is still in
place. This GND level might short the signal on the test pin - BUT we are
looking at the lower slot and your problem is with the upper slot as far as
I remember.
As far as Franks answer is concerned - what he is mentioning is the little
contact that you can see easily in line with the card-eject push button.
Especially on the upper slot you can see that easily. The connection to the
logic board is made via two spring contact in the near of the inductor L5
near the NIC port.
If that contact does not work the Newt cannot recognise whether the eject
button is released or not.
But I tend to believe that this is also not the reason for the problem you
have because in the normal position the contact is open and that would be
the same if teh spring contacts are giving bad contact.
Sorry, I do not have not any further idea.

Cheers
Johannes

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html