Re: [NTLK] How to read Newton E-mails?

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Fri Sep 05 2003 - 12:18:40 PDT

Il me semble que le 5/09/03 à 13:46 -0500, Michael Burks nous racontait:
>Is it possible to read non-text (i.e. Sketch) emails sent from your
>Newton on a computer? I'm spending more and more time away from the
>computer and I am having to start writing these things before I get
>home to stay on top of them. But now, I want to see something more,
>It would be amazing to draw pictures and send them to people.

SimpleMail allows this by letting you send a picture of your
sketches. You do this by installing the required packages and
selecting GIF in the format popup. The vectorial information (i.e.
the lines you have drawn) will be lost, though.

You can also uncheck Text only with SimpleMail/EnRoute. This will let
anyone with a mail agent compatible with these on their Newton to get
your sketches. The data is attached as a file with a .nwt suffix that
happens to be NSOF (Newton Stream Object Format) data with a header
and can be parsed by the NSOF to XML converter. However, the Ink
format is unknown so we cannot really process the file on a desktop
computer yet and extract the ink information (we can extract text
with styles, outlines and a lot of Newton meta-data, though).

Paul

--
Philosophie de baignoire - consultations sur rendez-vous.
NPDS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/