Re: [NTLK] newtontalk Digest V3 #474

From: Wiley Wiggins (weevil_at_wileywiggins.com)
Date: Sat Sep 06 2003 - 14:15:07 PDT

The Hinge repair is a must. It takes a little while, but you'll get to
know your eMate intimately in the process. I thought mine was fine when
I received it but opened it up anyway, sure enough the hinge had
popped. A few washers and a little teflon grease later and the hinge is
nice and smooth and my display should last for sometime to come.

As far as getting stuff onto the Emate goes, I got a keyspan twin USB
to Mac Serial adapter off Ebay and put my first few packages on with
Steven Franks NewTen package installer for OS X:
http://www.stevenf.com/newten/
  Then I installed NIE (get it in the Apple section on unna.org) and
Hiroshi's Newton WaveLan driver (works with most PCMCIA wireless cards):
http://www.ff.iij4u.or.jp/~ngc/eng/newtwave.htm
After that you can install the Newton Connection Utilities, which will
run pretty well in classic and can install packages and backup the
Newton (among other things) over the wireless link using Appletalk (if
you've got Hiroshi's driver set up correctly)
Beyond that though, you may find yourself running out of room to
install software. The Emate is big on design and flexibility, but
unfortunately a little low on storage space and RAM. An upgrade for
both exists, but since it is exceedingly rare, these go for prices that
can only be described as stupid. Luckily Mr. PCBman is evidently trying
to reverse engineer and fabricate his own version to sell.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html