Re: [NTLK] Second PC Card slot in an eMate

From: Jim Siburt (jsiburt_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Sep 09 2003 - 12:09:38 PDT

On Tuesday, September 9, 2003, at 02:26 PM, Martin Joseph wrote:

> On Tuesday, September 9, 2003, at 07:54 AM, Jim Siburt wrote:

>>> Robert Benschop wrote:
>>> It's been ages since I opened an eMate so I didn't remember that one,
>>> but technically one could either use the serial connection or the one
>>> meant for the expansion card I guess.
>>
>> Stephanie's comment was in response to my asking about adding a second
>> PC Card slot to the eMate. So it could be possible to use the serial
>> connection or the "dongle" to connect another card slot or some type
>> of
>> internal storage?
> No it doesn't make much sense...
>
> Serial is not a normal modality for adding storage. It's slow. David
> Humpreys (PCBman) is the best bet for emate memory expansion options.
> The next best bet is some kind of support for a combo card like the
> recently mentioned CF memory/wireless combo card.
>
> Marty

I know that San Disk is making a combo wi-fi 128MB card which could
function in a PC Card adapter in the eMate. This would be the perfect
answer but being a Zaurus user and hearing all of the complaints with
the San Disk drivers, I am not sure what kind of problems that would
cause with the current wireless drivers for the Newton. Would the eMate
see both a storage device and a wireless card?

How do you determine if the drivers a compatible without first
investing in the card itself?

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html