Re: [NTLK] Viewing XHTML on the Newton [Was: Share Internet Connection]

From: Glen Warner (gdwarner_at_mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Sep 10 2003 - 07:27:40 PDT

From: Grant Hutchinson <grant_at_splorp.com>

> In a previous message, Glen Warner typed vigorously:

(*snip*)

>>You mean view XHTML pages on your Newton ...? Good luck there; most
>>sites I know of filter for IE 5.0 and above and Netscape 4.0 (try
>>going to http://www.htmlguru.com with, say, Netscape 6 on a Mac, for
>>instance).
>
> Bzzzzt! Sorry Glen, but to prove that you're absolutely mistaken
about
> viewing XHTML pages on your Newton, witness the following screen
capture.
> This is Courier version 0.2.2 rendering an XHTML 1.0 Strict version
of
> the NPDS home page:
>
> http://www.splorp.com/junk/screencourier030909.gif
>
> Don't believe me? Try it yourself. Point Courier (or Newt's Cape -
it
> works too...) at this URL:
>
> http://npds.free.fr/test/

Can't do that just yet -- still waiting for J&K Sales to send my
upgraded 2000 back (can't wait ...! But going to have to, I guess ...).

(*snip*)

> By the way, here's a screen shot of the HTML Guru site in Courier.
Of
> course, you're not missing much. Any site that claims to be written
by a
> *guru* but can't produce standards-valid code, isn't much of a star.
The
> site hasn't been updated in five years either. Perhaps there's a
better
> example out there...

In Jeff Rouyer's defense, he and Eddie Trevesta (I think that's how
it's spelled) wrote a book on XHTML and DHTML, the title of which
escapes me. It had a companion site (www.xmlsage.com), with plans to
upgrade the HTML Guru site.

Well. The book came out, according to Amazon, but XMLsage.com has
been down for quite a while now, so no announcements there. The
XMLsage newsgroup has also been dead for quite some time, and the Guru
site has yet to be upgraded (Jeff Rouyer blames the economy).

Wish I had the book ... then I could see if there were any provisions
for handheld devices and text-based browsers ...!

BUT ... as to the original poster's problem, he's teaching a class in
XHTML; he's going to need sample sites to show to his students. As
you can see from the screenshot of HTML Guru, if the site uses
browser-sniffing, he's not going to get far with the Newton doing
the screenshots.

Speaking of screenshots, what are you using?

> :P
>
> g.

--gdw

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html