Re: [NTLK] Spam - Pe*nis growing!!!

From: Glen Warner (gdwarner_at_mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Sep 11 2003 - 23:59:09 PDT

"John M Powell" <jp_at_iwillbefree.com> wrote:

> Dave,
>
> I suspect it's something other than from this list.

(*snip*)

First, note that I have adjusted the subject line so it doesn't trip
one of my spam filters (the last two digests went straight to the
trash!).

That said, I am also getting a lot of spam these days: V*agra, p*enis
enlargment cream (yeah, right!), mor*tage offers, etc. Not sure where
they're harvesting my e-mail address from; even on the newsgroups, the
address is munged (gdwarnerNYET_at_mindspring.com).

I did, however, get an interesting piece of spam, supposedly from the
billing department of my ISP (MindSpring, now EarthLink).

This e-mail wanted me to update my credit card info by clicking a
link, which led to a page with the domain of earthlink.com in it
(earthlink.net is correct).

Needless to say, I didn't fall for that one ... but I wanted to take
this opportunity to warn the members of this list about that scam
(EarthLink is aware, and taking steps to shut the site down). Check
your inbox for a message from "Billing" with the subject line of
"Important Informaiton Regarding Your Account 232" (yes, this is
exactly how the subject line appeared, including the spelling error).

Don't know how widespread this one is; I haven't received it on my
main ISP (CableSpeed), so indeed it may be limited
to EarthLink/MindSpring-related domains.

> Whatever you do, don't ask them to take you off their list.
> That's guaranteed to have the exact opposite response.
> John

Yeah ... but someone suggested cc'ing anything you send to a spammer
(the Nigerians, in this case) to the FTC's Fraud division ... but I
think I'll pass on this one!

--gdw

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html