[NTLK] Newton Friendly Website for Maps

From: David Deranian (deranian_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Sep 12 2003 - 06:59:56 PDT

Hello Everyone-

Although Newtscape is slow as molassas, I've learned to live with it. I
usually am doing something else while I'm downloading pages I need when
I'm on the go. NetHopper doesn't do too much these days, even with the
great plugins that Dan Padilla has been kind enough to make available
to us. I do use NetHopper when I know I'm going to a simple website and
I don't feel like waiting around for Newtscape. I haven't tried Courier
yet, and I'm hoping with all my heart that it will fill the void in our
beloved Newton's functionality with regard to a faster more functional
web browser. But even with Courier on the scene, it's my understanding
that it will not be supporting image downloads.

As my subject line implies, I'd like to get some advice with regard to
which browser and website combinations you dedicated Newton folks use
for direct downloading of maps and driving directions into your Newton.
I think this is a very common and basic requirement for a portable
device like the Newton, and it would be nice to have this functionality
without the need of downloading the info into your desktop or laptop
computer first, than transferring it to your Newton which is what I end
up doing, since I've been unsuccessful going direct from website to
Newton.

I've tried Yahoo Maps, and MapQuest with no luck. I used to do it all
the time when Pocket MapBlast was around, and the maps came out
beautifully on the Newton.

All and any advice would be appreciated by me and the whole group I
would imagine.

Thanks,
-Dave

--