Re: [NTLK] Writing wireless driver for Prism chipset

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Tue Sep 16 2003 - 15:23:33 PDT

Aux environs du 17/09/03 à 0:08 +0200, sous le titre "Re: [NTLK]
Writing wireless driver for Prism chipset", doppler prit sa plus
belle plume pour écrire les mots suivants:
>http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/detail.jsp?tab=prodspec&sku=3CRPAG175

I'm skeptical. The spec doesn't even seem to say that the card is
regular PCMCIA, not card bus.

>http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/detail.jsp?tab=prodspec&sku=3CRWE62092B

I cannot tell.

If a card isn't listed as compatible with any Linux driver, there's
nearly no hope with Hiroshi's driver, as his driver is based on an
old version of one of the various open source drivers out there, and
the Linux drivers improved a lot since.

Plus I'm not going to tell anyone to buy a card to use with Hiroshi's
driver. I mean, even if I had a way to figure out that a card had
chances to work, I'm not going to tell you to get it.

Jim already bought his card and he wants to use it, he agrees to put
the effort to get it working, if my patch doesn't help, he'll just
have wasted 14 USD (or he may write a driver from scratch as he
seemed to want to do, probably by ignorance of what it actually
means). The only thing I'm sure of is that the patch does work with
*my* Linksys WPC11 rev. 3 and Hiroshi's driver. My webserver no
longer uses my good old Lucent Silver.

I bought this linksys because Hiroshi told me it would work if I
fixed the 31 characters limit (and also because it's probably the
cheapest 128 bits card that could work I could get). Please note that
the Linksys WPC11 rev _4_ doesn't work with some (all?) open source
drivers because it's a different chipset and I'm confident it won't
work with Hiroshi's driver either.

Paul

--
Philosophie de baignoire - consultations sur rendez-vous.
NPDS/NewtonOS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/