Re: [NTLK] LocalTalk Bridge problems

From: Andrew Kershaw (alk_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Dec 31 1903 - 22:24:33 PST

>I have two Ethernet cards installed in 840AV. Appletalk set for
>Ethernet card that's connected to linksys Router/ hub. Weird thing
>is that if I set appletalk for printer port the localtalk bridge
>doesn't start up for some reason.
That's because LocalTalk bridge bridges LOCALTALK to your other
AppleTalk-type network (TokenTalk, EtherTalk, etc). It expects that
your LocalTalk network is hung off your Printer port. If you've got
AppleTalk set to use the printer port, LocalTalk bridge turns itself
off, since there's nothing to bridge.

IOW, your LocalTalk network must be connected to your printer port,
and your AppleTalk network must be connected to a different port with
the AppleTalk control panel set up accordingly.

Now to make things even more fun, set up a MacIP server and bridge
your TCP/IP network over to LocalTalk using something like
IPNetRouter... I've done that, and it actually works quite well
(though I haven't tried it with my Newton 130)!

I don't know if that helps you or not...

Peace,
Drew

--
Author of ClassicStumbler