Re: [NTLK] Sending documents to a network

From: Eckhart Köppen (eck1001_at_gmx.net)
Date: Wed Sep 17 2003 - 09:57:37 PDT

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 10:38:35 -0400, Jim Siburt wrote:
> Hello all,
> Now that I have a wireless connection I want to be able to send
> documents from the eMate to my desktop.

In addition to the already mentioned way of using NCU or Escale, some
more ideas...

If your desktop is capable of running some kind of OBEX server over
TCP/IP (such as http://openobex.sourceforge.net/), you can use Neo and
IC/VC to send select data formats (Names, Dates, Notes and everything
that has some sort of text representation).

I use Neo usually in the opposite direction, sending things from my
desktop to the Newton via TCP/OBEX. Works pretty well when combined
with On Command for Mac OS X: sending things to the Newton is simply a
right-click away.

> If certain applications can't do this yet who can I help to accomplish
> this?

If Neo and OBEX over TCP/IP works for you, a nicer version of the
connection slip used by Neo for TCP/IP might be nice. And of course on
the desktop side, a nice wrapper/installer for the OBEX server. Neo
will also be used for OBEX over Bluetooth, meaning that any improvement
for Neo will benefit OBEX over IrDA, TCP and Bluetooth likewise.

> Knowing that I am ignorant of the work involved but it can't be
> any tougher than trying to get someone to embrace Web Standards or
> building a content management system from scratch using PHP/MySQL. : )

An alternative is to extend the Fetch URL transport (part of NHttpLib)
to do POST or PUT requests. Somebody is working on this already, I'm
not sure how much still needs to be done.

> Which by the way for all the Courier users is what allows those pages
> to display correctly in Courier.

Exactly :)!

Eckhart

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html