Re: [NTLK] Copying NIE pkgs to Card & new FAQ dad

From: Woody Smith (woody_at_bitstream.net)
Date: Thu Sep 18 2003 - 20:52:36 PDT

Hi Grant
Thank you for assuming this responsibility. The FAQs have been a great
resource for me. I look forward to seeing some updates.
As you know for people with 2x00s and no dongle or Macs or PCs for that
matter with no serial capability an ethernet can be the least expensive
way of connecting for package installation and backups. But how do you
get the necessary drivers and extensions installed in the first place.
I attempted to install all the necessary packages on a card for a
fellow list member by using two backdoor methods of getting two copies
of a package onto one newton. One is to use NewTen to install the
packages, this worked for all that didn't have to be stored internally
- failure.
Second I tried beaming the copies, this also worked for packages that
wern't currently being used which again were the same ones that failed
with NewTen.
The method that worked was to do a partial backup of packages only.
The second party received them and and was able to selectively restore
the necessary packages.
Another list member reported having difficulties with this method but
in this instance it worked and the recipient is I believe a new user.
The packages as they are named on the Newton are:
3C589 Created 9/15/99
Farallon Enet Created 8/8/97 v1
Newton Devices Created 9/29/97 v1
Newton Internet Enabler
NIE Ethernet Module
NIE LocalTalk Module
NIE Modem & Serial Module
NIE Patch Created 12/5/01 v2
TCP/IP Dock Transport Created 2/17/01 v2
z3ComDrv:clli Created 11/5/97 v1

In the Setup folder
Internet Setup Created 9/29/97 v2001

I hope this is helpful