Re: [NTLK] OT: New virus making rounds

From: Andrei Chichak (acpmiedm_at_telusplanet.net)
Date: Mon Sep 22 2003 - 08:33:51 PDT

At 09:08 PM 9/21/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>As I ranted about elsewhere about an hour ago, the last three or four
>major outbreaks are ones that could be *prevented* by applying the fix
>that Microsoft pushed out through the Windows Update notification a
>whole week prior to the virus showing up.

Hear hear. On the other hand, Microsoft also releases badly undertested
patches. I lost my NT4 system that I had been running for 6 years by
downloading patch Q823803. It has taken approximately a month to get back
to where I was. This patch was supposed to fix a hole that could allow a
denial of service attack. Well, I was denied service all right, when you
can't call out to get the fix to the fix, or look through the groups to
find out why your system is hosed, you have no service.

Andrei

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html