Re: [NTLK] Can't import apps

From: Alan Davis (mdawd_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Sep 28 2003 - 06:58:19 PDT

Have had this problem many times. It occurs when the package is saved for a
windows machine and lacks Macintosh header information. Here is how you fix
it: Open the package with ResEdit (this is an old program, but invaluable.
It will work in Classic MacOS X). The window that opens (titled
"blanketyblank.pkg) will be blank because there are no Mac resources saved
to the file. Under the "File" menu in ResEdit select "Get Info for
blanketyblank.pkg" This will bring up a window with the file title, the
type, and creator. Change the type to "pkg" without quotes, and the creator
to "pkgX" without the quotes and save the file. The icon will change to a
Newton package and you are set. There is a utility which will do this change
automatically, but I have had good success with this technique. YMMV.

On 9/28/03 4:18 AM, "Allan Ngaparu" <angaparu_at_optusnet.com.au> wrote:

>> I'm a new Newton owner. I have a 2100 and I just got one of the internal
>> serial adapters, thanks to a suggestion from the list. (installation was a
>> piece of cake!). It works fine and I can get my Newt to communicate with
> my

Deletia... Etc...

_____
    We trained hard- but it seemed that every time we began to form up into
teams, we would be reorganized. I was to learn later in life that we tend to
meet any new situation by reorganizing- and a wonderful method it can be for
creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion, inefficiency,
and demoralization.

                                             Petronius Arbiter
                                             210 B.C.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html