[NTLK] MacRenewal Newtons: Sell or giveaway? [was NTLK Digest V3 #511 & FS: MP2100s, accessories, software]

From: Ronsilvar (Ronsilvar_at_husky-net.net)
Date: Sun Sep 28 2003 - 09:57:38 PDT

on 9/28/03 3:17 AM, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net at newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net
wrote:

> Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 00:40:28 -0700
> Subject: Re: [NTLK] newtontalk Digest V3 #511
> From: Mick Ring <lists_at_rynosoft.com>
>
> on 9/26/03 10:37, Ronsilvar at Ronsilvar_at_husky-net.net wrote:
>
>> Not to be schmuck, I never did receive an answer to my private inquiry to
>> you asking where these other Newton are going to.
>
> Ron, I did not reply because I missed the part at the end of your message
> asking where the remaining Newtons were going. I apologize for that.
>
>> So, I'll air it to the
>> general forum. If these are going to "needy individuals and organizations" I
>> think, and I could be wrong here, These Newtons are the wrong thing for a
>> "needy person or organization". [snip]
>
> I disagree with several things you say here. The other Newtons are complete
> and require no further investment. They are just like buying a new one out
> of the box 5 years ago. They are ready to use. I used mine for years without
> spending any money on it.
>
> Secondly, MacRenewal DOES provide computers for needy individuals and
> organizations. That is their main purpose but they received these Newtons as
> a donation from a corporation which shall remain unnamed.
>
> Having said those things, I cannot tell you what will happen to the
> remaining Newtons because I don't know. I'm not in charge of that end of
> organization and I didn't ask what would happen to those units. My main
> function is to prepare computers for use and I happened to know how to get
> the Newtons ready. I didn't think the battery-less Newtons would be useful
> to anyone except people who already own a Newton, so I offered them to the
> list.
>
> BTW, I did not catch this message until I saw several replies to it. You
> really need to put something besides "Digest..." in the subject line. I
> suspect I'm not the only one who skips over alot of messages on this list
> based on the subject line.
> -Mick

Mick,
 First let me get this out of the way. I absolutely do not hold you
personally accountable for MacRenewal policies. I thank you very much for
bringing the remainder of the Newtons to NTLK and whole heartily appreciate
your efforts. Please don't take umbrage.

I am actually trying to get to the heart of the matter and am hoping perhaps
MacRenewal might reconsider selling these "new" Newtons. I don't mind at all
a Newton going to a needy individual or org but it seems to me MacRenewal
can get a much better deal if these Newtons were put up for sale. Afterall,
the monies generated could actually do more good. It would be mutually
beneficial to all-Macrenewal, needy persons/orgs AND the Newton community.

If these Newtons were put up for sale they could bring in $250 to $350
depending on condition. If they are like you say: "like buying a new one out
of the box", it might bring in a lot more, potentially $425 - $500.00!

Now, that I realize what your situation is, I should then ask the next
obvious question. Could you provide us a contact name/email address to
someone who is in charge? (w/ their permission of course). I really think
we as a group here could pursuade MacRenewal to put these Newtons up for
sale either here on NTLK or eBay. It would be a win-win situation for all.
Don't you think?

Ron Silva

ps re: Subject line. yes, I even missed it! It's been corrected,
w/Apologies, -r.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html